Health Insurance Company Overview
Standard Life Healthcare, owned by Standard Life, is one of the largest health insurance companies in the UK. Standard Life is a major asset managing company headquartered in Edinburgh and operating across the globe. Established in 1825, Standard Life provides life assurance and pensions, investment management, banking and healthcare insurance products to over 6.5 million customers worldwide.
In July 2010, as part of Standard Life’s decision to focus on its core pension and investment business, the Healthcare division was sold to Discovery and re-branded as PruHealth.
Health Insurance Plans
Standard Life Healthcare does not provide readymade health insurance plans. Instead, customers start with a core plan and add additional services to suit their budget and needs.
The core healthcare package from Standard Life includes:
- In-patient and day-patient treatment such as hospital charges, specialist fees and tests for diagnosis
- Cash benefit for NHS
- Out-patient services such as MRI, CT and PET scans
- Cancer coverage in full, excluding vaccines or preventative treatment
- GP consultation line
- Private ambulance
Customising your Healthcare
Items that can be added to Standard Health's Core package include:
- Up to full coverage for out-patient treatment
- Up to 13 weeks of home nursing
- Up to full coverage for chiropractic, osteopathy, acupuncture, homeopathy and dietician therapies or appointments
- Family options such as coverage for pregnancy complications, infertility investigations, accommodations if your child is having an in-patient procedure, and oral surgery
- Psychiatric treatment
- Private GP consultations and appointments
- Maternity coverage after two years of coverage up to £3,000 per pregnancy
- Travel coverage
- Dental coverage
Health Insurance Company History
|1800s ||The Standard Life Assurance Company, known as Standard Life, was established in 1825 and the first Standard Life Assurance Company Act was passed by Parliament in 1832. |
|2000 ||The group acquired Prime Health Limited (subsequently renamed Standard Life Healthcare) in the United Kingdom in 2000. |
|2006 ||Standard Life Healthcare expanded in March 2006 which the acquisition of FirstAssist, a private medical insurance business. |
|2010 ||In July 2010, as part of Standard Life’s decision to focus on its core pension and investment business, the Healthcare division was sold to Prudential. |
In August 2010 Standard Life completed the sale of Standard Life Healthcare to a subsidiary of Discovery Holdings. Discovery is a leading financial services institution operating worldwide.
In the UK, Discovery operates via a joint venture with Prudential through PruHealth, a specialist private medical insurance provider.
Standard Life Healthcare has now been re-branded as PruHealth.
Get a quote now for any of PruHealth’s policies, or call for free personal advice from one of our health insurance experts on 0800 862 0373