Family health insurance
Family health insurance can provide private health treatment to you and your whole family, including young children, when you need it the most.
With this type of cover you have the peace of mind that if you or one of your family becomes ill you can get access to private treatment.
A lot of people buy health insurance for their family to:
- Get prompt diagnosis and care by avoiding NHS waiting lists
- Choose appointment times to suit busy lifestyles
- Receive expert health care from specialist doctors and nurses
- Recover in a private, en-suite room with unrestricted visiting times
How does family health insurance work?
Family health insurance offers private health care alongside the services offered by the NHS. If you or a member of your family suspect something is wrong, visit your GP as normal.
If you have a health insurance plan you can then be referred for private health care for any further diagnosis and treatment. You can choose when and where you are treated at a time that is suitable for you and your family.
Being able to choose when and where you are treated can be a great help to families who lead busy lives. Appointments can be worked around school and work commitments.
What does family health insurance cover?
Family health insurance will cover treatment and care for acute medical conditions.
This can include diagnostic tests, consultations and in-patient and out-patient treatment. You can recover in your own private room instead of an open ward. You can choose a policy that can provide overnight stay for a parent at the hospital if your child is admitted.
Your policy can also give you access to drugs and treatments not available on the NHS.
Features of family health insurance
When choosing a family health insurance policy you can tailor it so that you only buy the cover you need. There are a number of options to consider when choosing a health insurance policy, these may include:
- Diagnostic tests and specialist consultants that can help identify the health problem promptly - almost all policies include this cover.
- In-patient hospital cover - most health insurance plans will cover the cost of staying in a hospital for treatment.
- Out-patient treatment - more comprehensive policies will provide out-patient treatment and care.
- Cancer cover - if cancer cover is a priority, look for a family policy with full radiotherapy and chemotherapy treatment. Some policies can also give you access to drugs not available on the NHS.
Compare family health insurance with ActiveQuote
ActiveQuote is one of the leading health and protection insurance comparison websites in the UK. ActiveQuote also power the health insurance comparisons for Confused.com, Gocompare and uSwitch.
You can build your policy online so that your cover suits your needs as well as your budget. You can also speak to an advisor if you would like help with your policy.
With ActiveQuote you are able to:
- View up to 25 quotes online.
- Compare the UK’s leading insurers.
- Tailor your quotes online.
- Buy your health insurance online.
- Get free advice and guidance from a health insurance specialist.