Enter your information
Buy online or speak to one of our expert advisors
Child Health Insurance
Child Health Insurance can be the perfect way to gain peace of mind about your child’s health. Compare affordable child medical insurance quotes online from all leading UK insurers with ActiveQuote. Our child health cover comparison system allows you to find the best medical insurance for children and buy a low cost child health insurance policy immediately online.
What is Child Health Insurance?
Child health insurance, also known as child medical insurance and child health cover, is chosen by parents who want peace of mind about their child’s health. Child medical insurance covers children under 18 only for alternative treatment to the NHS.
What are the benefits of a policy?
With a child health insurance policy, your children will receive prompt access to eligible treatment for a wide range of conditions. Child health insurance for under 18s will give you numerous benefits, and is often fairly cheap. Benefits can include:
- Bypassing NHS queues for prompt diagnosis and treatment.
- Treatment at a local private hospital of your choice.
- Treatment at a time convenient to you, allowing you to work around school hours.
- Guarantee of a private room, usually with ensuite facilities, a television and a phone to ensure your child is comfortable.
- Unrestricted visiting hours so your family can visit at a convenient time.
- Access to new drugs not available on the NHS, subject to policy.
For more information about which child health insurance policy covers which hospital, take a look at our free hospital database.
What should I look for in Child Health Insurance quotes?
As well as whether the policy is affordable, there are many other things to look for when you compare child health insurance quotes online.
Level of cover
When buying a child medical insurance policy you need to choose your level of cover. For cheap child health insurance look for a budget policy- this will only provide the most basic cover for your child. Mid-range policies cover full inpatient and day patient treatment, but are still affordable for many people. Comprehensive child medical insurance is the most expensive and offers the highest level of cover.
Type of underwriting
The three types of underwriting you can choose from when buying a child health insurance policy are Moratorium, Full Medical Underwriting and Switch.
- With Moratorium, your child will not be covered for illnesses they have suffered in the past five years, but will be covered after two years symptom free on the policy. You will not need to disclose your medical history.
- With Full Medical underwriting you provide your full medical history on application and the insurance company may exclude cover for pre-existing conditions. You will always be told what is excluded before buying a policy.
- A Switch or CPME (Continuing Personal Medical Exclusions) will allow you to switch from an existing policy to a new one without losing cover. ActiveQuote is the only comparison site able to quote Switch policies.
Although you can’t put a price on your health, for many families money is tight. There are discount schemes available for child health insurance which will make your child health cover affordable whilst still giving you peace of mind. These include:
- Increasing your excess on your child health insurance policy
- A six week wait option
- Reduced hospital cover
If you are not just looking for cover for a child only, it might be worth looking at a family health insurance policy instead.
What will Child Health Insurance cover?
There are certain medical conditions that child health insurance will not cover, even if you have a comprehensive policy. This includes voluntary treatment like plastic surgery.
If there is a medical condition that you particularly want your child to be covered for, take a look at our free medical database which will allow you to search through different conditions. The database provides handy tips on what to look for in a child health insurance policy.
When you compare child health insurance quotes online with ActiveQuote you will be shown all the different conditions covered by each policy to help you make an informed choice.
Why compare Child Medical Insurance with ActiveQuote?
There are many advantages to comparing UK child health insurance quotes with ActiveQuote. ActiveQuote is the only true price comparison website for health insurance in the UK, so we can quote you low cost policies to help you find cheap cover.
Benefits of our quote and compare service include:
- Tailoring your child medical insurance quotes with instant changes to the price. You can change all modules, options, hospital list and excess.
- You can choose a policy and buy it instantly online.
- Your data will be secure in our state-of-the-art security software. Unlike other online medical insurances websites we will not sell on your details to any third parties.
- You can change policy without losing cover with switch underwriting.
Please visit the About ActiveQuote page for more information on our unique comparison system.
What if I want to speak to someone in person?
ActiveQuote is a specialist personal medical insurance broker with over 40 years’ experience in the health insurance market. We are fully authorised and regulated by the FSA and take an ethical approach to the selling of child health insurance. Here are just a few advantages of using ActiveQuote as a broker:
- Our advisors can search the market for quotes from all leading UK child health insurance providers for you so you don’t have to spend your time doing so.
- Sometimes child medical insurance policies are hard to choose between. Our free, personal advice comes with no obligations.
- We maintain direct relationships with our child health cover companies to guarantee that we are the first to hear about changes, new products and special offers.
- We will automatically renew your cover every year and contact you if there is a better child medical cover policy on the market.