SQL DBA (Database Administrator)
A fantastic opportunity to join an entrepreneurial business with a growing brand in the UK.
We operate some of the UK's leading price comparison sites for Health Insurance, Income Protection and Life Insurance with significant innovations and USPs through our world-leading software. We power some of the UK's leading household comparison sites including Confused.com, GoCompare, Money.co.uk and uSwitch.
ActiveQuote are looking to strengthen their development team in Cardiff due to continued success and ambitious plans to deliver several new projects in 2018. This opportunity is for an experienced and enthusiastic SQL DBA to join our existing team of developers in supporting on-going performance enhancements, scalability and resilience.
Reporting to the IT Manager, the SQL DBA will work with the DevOps team to identify and resolve database performance issues as well as embed best practice within the team regarding database development. There will also be aspects of working with the infrastructure team to identify and propose architecture that lends itself to high availability, performance and resilience.
The ideal candidate will have specific experience in optimization of high volume transactional websites and a good mix of skills with regards to database development, architecture and infrastructure.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Managing the availability and performance of the databases that underpin all systems
- Ensuring appropriate hardware resources are allocated to the databases, to guarantee high resilience and optimum performance
- Planning and management of improvements and maintenance of databases to include new releases and upgrades as well as routine maintenance
- Providing support to staff in department and end users in order to resolve data issues at all levels
- Production Incident monitoring, investigation and resolution
- Monitor and perform database optimization
- Actively contribute towards the development and maintenance of data standards and the implementation of the data management policies within the organisation
- General support for production and non-production environments and application releases
- Implement a SQL Server 2016 upgrade across the existing estate, also maintain the current /new database servers
- Document implementation for future reference
Education, Qualifications & Training:
- Microsoft certified in SQL technology (desirable)
- Degree educated in Computer Science, Mathematics or relevant field (desirable)
- Experience in working with high volume transactional websites
- Specific experience in database performance tuning and monitoring
- Working within an agile environment (desirable)
- Experience in database deployments as part of a devops environment(desirable)
- Significant knowledge of SQL server 2012 or later
- Strong SQL server administration skills
- Considerable understanding on indexing, performance tuning methods and tools
- High availability, replication and partitioning
- High level of understanding of enterprise infrastructure, security, scalability, flexibility, maintainability and reliability
- Proactive monitoring and resolution of any database related issues
- Out of hours response to mission critical events
- Good team skills working in collaboration at a technical level
- Excellent communications skills to explain either verbally or in writing technical concepts
- Ability to work independently at times and taking into account the needs of the situation, priorities, constraints and the availability of necessary information
- Mentoring of the team with respect to best practices
Specific requirements for the role:
- Able to work 37.5hrs per week.
- Normal business hours are between 9am - 8pm Mon-Thurs, 9am – 5.30pm Friday, 10am - 2pm Saturdays
- Core working hours 10-4, with the remaining hours to be made up either before or after this time
- Sometimes necessary to be present for deployments out of hours
- On call necessary for any major incidents or outages
- As we are regulated by the FCA we are unable to take applications from anyone with a history of bankruptcy, IVAs or CCJs.
What we're offering:
- Competitive salary.
- 30 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays).
- Good location with excellent transport links.
- A hard working but fun and lively atmosphere with opportunities to develop within the business.
- Company Benefits - Income Protection, Private Medical Insurance, Pension contribution, Buy Additional Leave, Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Package.
To apply, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org